Saturday, April 2, 2011

599 Post 1

Random Thoughts: I'm sort of in disbelief that this is my last class. Relief and amazement washes over me, but I'm also feeling a bit antsy -- What am I going to do next? Not that it won't feel terrific to simply be responsible for my family and my job, but... To pacify some of this early onset antsy-ness, my daughter and I signed up to help at and partake in a couple of walks in the next month or so - one for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and one for the Juvenile Research Diabetes Foundation.

Culminating Experience:
I thought I had a firm grasp on what my proposal should look like and such, but after reading through the Syllabus for 599, I'm not so sure. I am looking forward to meeting with Louis Saturday morning to get the kinks worked out and clarify my concerns.

On a positive note, my students are certainly reaping the benefits of the focus of my project - integrating My Big Campus into my English classrooms during our research unit. I have already found students more willing to voice their questions and concerns, and I feel that I have a better handle on their daily progress than in the past. I pinpoint students in need of help faster as well as those who have failed to meet expectations.

I think students feel empowered by the tool as they can truly help themselves or at the very least attempt to help themselves with the resources available prior to asking for help. It's met their needs of self-exploration and independent problem-solving.

I wish My Big Campus had a feature that allowed me to contact parents and allow parents to see their child's work and progress. I especially like that students can access My Big Campus from outside the school, from any computer with Internet access.

4 comments:

  1. Trish, congratulations... we are almost at the finish line or this one at least. It feels good and sort of frightening too beacuse this program and the accelerated learning has been such a huge part of my life's routine. I know that meeting and talking with Louis will help put things in focus for you, it helped me tremendously.

    I was afraid that I did't have enough in my proposal, but Louis was able to help me shape and reshape some aspects of it. One of the things I will miss about this program is the sharing of ideas and experiences within our cohort. Good luck with the walks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish, I think you will find your meeting with Louis to be a great help with the specific focus of your culminating project. Mine was overly ambitious as I was trying to do it all in a short period of time which was not very SMART. I am interested in reading more about your integration of My Big Campus (MBC)into your English classrooms. It sounds like you have a blended approach with MBC and I think that that is a good way to introduce new technologies.

    The self-exploration and problem-solving aspects of MBC resources, from what you describe, ties-in so nicely with the 21st Century Skills that the MEIT Program has been pushing all along. It would be nice for parents to see the progress of their children via MBC. My first thought was an RSS feed linked to their child's work, but that would require some type of login. I will keep an eye on your blog to see how the project goes for you in the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trish,

    I would assume your talk with Louis went well! He really helped shape what I wanted to do and it helped to talk it over. Like yourself, I cannot believe we are already at the final stretch in this program! It has been a big part of all of our lives, it will be strange to not have it anymore. What will we do with that time?? Sounds like your project is going well and is helping students which is the overall goal! Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trish, I can't wait to see your project. It sounds great and how convenient to be able to integrate it into your classroom. Real world works so much different than our paper world. Privacy issues are hard to get around. Can parents log in with the student ID?

    ReplyDelete