How has my definition of leadership altered or been reinforced?
- I've always known that being a good leader is a purposeful endeavor. This course broke down the components of good leadership as well as
helped me to pinpoint exactly why I've viewed some leadership as positive and others as negative. It's helped me to more knowledgeably talk about the importance of good leadership as well as think specifically about what I can do to be a successful, positive leader. Additionally, as appalled as I first was by the thought of moving along prior to everyone being on-board with change or an initiative, I now see the necessity of that.
- Before this class, I wouldn't have categorized myself as a teacher leader. In an effective school where learning is embraced, teacher leaders are hugely important. A teacher leader may lead by example, collaborate with colleagues, share resources and ideas, communicate regularly with staff as well as administration, discuss curriculum, promote learning, teach using best practices, invite and welcome teachers and administration into his/her classroom, involve the community in the learning process, be open to and promote changes that benefit education, be dedicated, and be a picture of a strong advocate for children. Teacher leaders believe in their purpose, place ownership on their purpose(s) and help to create and promote buy-in and community. Teacher leaders are vital to schools moving forward.
- My opinion of my leadership potential has been reinforced rather than changed. People that surround me have always told me that I'm a natural leader, that people listen when I talk. If I make the choice to lead, I think I could have a huge impact on school climate as well as attitude toward changes taking place in our building. The importance of collaborating with colleagues, not hiding in my classroom for efficiency sake, and communicating more across grades levels rather than just within my own unless necessary has grown clearer. Teacher leadership is a responsibility I must embrace in order to support and hold onto my career.
- As much as it aggravates me that schools are so dependent upon state funding, taxes, and such to "run," as teachers we cannot directly control any of those things. What we can directly control is making a difference and working toward positive change within our school buildings and within our districts. In order for any change to occur, someone has to spark that change. Regardless of materials available, funding available, number of students in a classroom, etc., teachers are resourceful and capable individuals who know how to make education work. We are the experts. We must collaboratively combine our expertise in order to improve education. To help, I will communicate, collaborate, and share with colleagues, promote the importance of education to people I cross paths with, inquire about what I can do to help l
ead change, lead by example, and be available and accessible to those I teach with. I will speak up rather than bite my tongue and choose to stay out of the limelight. I will create awareness within and amongst members of my school community. I will reflect constantly on the state of my classroom and my school and be willing and open to change in order to embrace learning. I need to focus my energies on things I can control and be a proactive member of my teacher community.
Trish,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have the skills and are now ready to take the lead!
I also agree with you thoughts on school change, we can't control every aspect, but must try to improve our schools from within.